Saturday, September 09, 2006

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot!

I am currently brewing myself a steaming cup of Twinings Earl Grey in milk.
I feel ever so smart having just learned all there is to know about Earl Grey and bergamot. I've always loved it and knew Twinings were the first to make it, but now I know more. Apparently in the 1830s the second Earl of Grey was given a gift of bergamot flavoured tea as a thank you - some say from a chinese merchant whose son's life was saved. His fellow lords contracted Twining to create a tea just like it and so - Earl Grey tea was sold by Twinings...and it still is. There's another company that swears to sell the original chinese blend, but nobody knows for sure. I just bought a tin of Twinings the other day - In my opinion it is still the best. I've loved it ever since I was a wee lass. Bergamot oranges are an orange that is a cross between a pear lemon and a seville orange or grapefruit. It is a small, pear shaped fruit and the peel is used to make essential bergamot oil that's in marmalade and tea and is supposed to help with depression and digestion.
I just think it's yummy...with or without milk and lemon.
Twinings makes a Lady Grey tea too which apparently has a few calming citrus additives to remove the hot wild attitudes believed to be given to women by tea. I like tea...maybe that's what makes me so crazy...perhaps I should switch to the lady version...

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...