Monday, May 15, 2006

Books I would Write (Sunday Scribblings)

The books I would write, if I ever really got round to it, would start with a few children's books. They would introduce kids to how cool science is and definitely have some pop-up thingys in it. I've always loved pop up books, and as a kid I always wanted to know how things worked and where they came from and about all the strange bugs and plants and animals and where they came from and how to make a volcano and ways to do cool things in my house without blowing it up. There's gotta be other kids like me out there, so I'd write it for us. If it were an adulty kind of book, I'd love to do a research book on a topic I've always been intrested in: historical medicine and science and women. In university I took a course on midieval history and medicine in regards specifically to women and it was fascinating to me. I'd love to research more and learn about the changing roles and attitudes of women throughout history and just how this was based on or influenced society, medicine and other things around them. Plus, basically it would (I hope) pay off all the trips around the world I'd need to make to research it...and it would be fascinating!

BUT in reality, I do believe would (and probably will someday) make a cookbook. I love to cook and I'm always inventing or tweaking things to try and find new and delicious things. Then I want to share them with the world, and this seems the best way to do it. I tried my hand at it editing and designing a cookbook for our local community station (which turned out ever so well AND they have my hippie crack granola bar recipe in them...) and I'd love to do a REAL cookbook for people like me who love to make real tasty food and then eat it while making groany sounds and saying things like "dear GOD this is good". It'd likely have a silly name like "Mmm Mmm Time for Pie" and have a grinning picture of me standing in the middle of a giant pie (think "happiness pie") on the front of it.

Sunday Scribblings is a project to inspire and create. Wanna know more? Go here...

7 comments:

paris parfait said...

Some good ideas there! I'd be interested to read those books.

Unknown said...

I'd definitely read a recipe for "happiness pie."

Magnus said...

"I'd love to do a research book on a topic I've always been intrested in: historical medicine and science and women. In university I took a course on midieval history and medicine in regards specifically to women and it was fascinating to me."

I'd read that, especially if it were pop-up. I want hardcore academic pop-up books dammit.

Geosomin said...

J interviewed a woman yesterday that wrote a children's book about the holocaust - an awkward interview to say the least! Just goes to show that there's books out there for everyone.

Pop up academia is something that is long overdue. I'd start with genetics and them maybe focus on medicine, starting with the early writings of Galen and Socrates...

Magnus said...

The pop-up holocaust book. Eeeeyeaaahh... What was the woman's name? Was she a Survivor?

I was going to suggest a pop-up anatomy book, but Trent might think of something rude and inappropriate.
The pop-up book of Vikings. The centre spread could be Harald Hardrada Springing to life with his long axe which pops out and whacks little kids on the skull.

dpjkifjv

Anonymous said...

"Pop up academia is something that is long overdue. I'd start with genetics and them maybe focus on medicine, starting with the early writings of Galen and Socrates..."

Think its telling that the first time I read that, I read "I'd start with genitals..."?

I can see it working for half the species, at least....

Geosomin said...

It wasn't a pop-up book. But a children's book on that topic is too wierd. Popup would have pushed it WAY over the edge....

I like the pop up viking idea. The anatomy one, not so much...although an audio anatomy book would be cool...to hear the heart and stuf like that.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...