Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Shhhh...do not wake them - they are like 2 little boobalicious things...

Sigh. After a few days of it I have to ask:
Is there ever going to be a time when drawing boobs or a penis on a wall is finally considered to be absolutely stupid and crass by all? I'm not talking your nudes, or nudity per se (I like those actually), my problem is just the whole stick drawing of a penis and round w with nipples on it.
Because seriously, it is tacky and degrading. We are more than our dangly bits.
There is a sudden surge of tatas and johnsons being scribbled on walls and lockers around campus and the alleys of downtown and I would just like to ask the people drawing them:
-How old are you?
-Do you think this is amusing and if so, how?
-You know this definitely is NOT a way to impress the ladies right?
-Is the cost of a magazine too much for you?
-Would you like to take an art class? Seriously, they have actual nudes there to draw - you could draw the bits to your hearts content.
-Could you pick one wall and leave the rest of us in peace?
-Does your mother know you're out?

Because, seriously - I know 13 year old boys who could be doing this occasionally, but could they get all over town? It has to be some older people too...which is a bit disturbing really. The attitude of someone towards others, sex and sexuality in general would have to be somewhat curdled to do this kind of stuff. Now, don't get me wrong - I actually like graffiti. I notice it and will often photograph it- some of it can be quite beautiful or have something to say, even just someone's name written wierd or even "wooo" written really big. I'd settle for wooo instead of this. It leaves me with a strange taste in my mouth...

2 comments:

Magnus said...

Generation Y, seriously. Gen X took hold of the kid stuff side of childhood and Gen Y took hold of the mean spirited destructive side. Not an absolute, but tells yuh gel...

Unknown said...

This crass graffiti is rampant on the McGill university campuses in the men's washrooms in Montreal.

Women don't draw as much graffiti. Not to say there are parallel stupid things. But there's something real stupid yo in our country, in Western society, for a mighty long time in these ways.

There may be a zillion stupid things in Taiwan culture, but I've never ever seen graffiti in public washrooms. I don't think I have - ever. In a big city like Taichung I maybe saw one tag and one mural type thing.

As for outright vandalism and putting one's feces on the floor, or worse, on the walls, etc. Never. Just doesn't happen.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...