Wednesday, October 03, 2007

You could be an alchemist and turn your pain into gold...golden pie.

A girl I work with is super healthy, and not in an annoying way. She looks about 15 years younger than she is, is happy and confident, runs a lot and (where am I going with this?) she drinks this yummy "health drink" she makes herself all the time. I've decided it's the elixer of life, and being the eternal alchemist, er, I mean, biochemist, I managed to convince her to tell me how to make it for myself...

Apparently you take 2c of cranberries and 2 grean tea bags (or leafy equivalents in a tea ball) and bring them to a boil in ~8 L water until the cranberries pop out of their skins. Then you take the tea bags out and let it cool, skim off the skins and puree it all in a blender and cool it, then drink it. Looking things up on my sciency network of intelligence there should be lots of nutrients and antioxidents in this tasty stuff...and a bit of caffeine too to boot. Sounded good to me, so I made some last night. It makes enough for a waterbottle-ful a day and I'm drinking it right now as I type. It's not bad. I like cranberry juice and I like green tea, and it's like an odd mix of both, but not too tart. I might add a bit of honey to it to take the tartness off, but I think I'm hooked *and* well on my way to living forever.

Seeing as they won't let me drain podlings for their essence anymore, this will do in a pinch.
Cheers!

5 comments:

Magnus said...

I was always advised not to boil green tea or to steep it in water that was too hot. Overly hot water can, apparently, destroy some of the things that make green worthwhile.

Geosomin said...

Oh. Maybe I'll add the tea bags after it's done boiling then...IT tastes pretty good tho I must say.

Magnus said...

I know for matcha the max optimum temp. is 71 degrees C. Regular green tea isn't much higher. Actually, even black tea I have been told should never be made with boiling water.
I was making my own iced tea this summer using various green and black teas with jasmine tea. (dried jasmine buds rolled into a ball) I used close to boiling water for the jasmine to open them right up (allowing it to cool before making the rest) and I used tepid water for the tea and allowed it to steep longer. I used about four bags of tea.
Actually one tea I used was a Rasberry black tea.

Geosomin said...

OOh..this is getting more and more like chemistry!
Cool...

elasticwaistbandlady said...

So now you feel too good for the simpleness of Kool-Aid??!!? Hey that concoction took me all the way through childhood, and I came out......decent. I guess.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...