Monday, January 29, 2007

Penny for your thoughts

I feel like a weirdo sometimes.
I don't watch a lot of TV and so when I do on a cold boring day, sometimes it seems like the level of intelligence getting put into shows is steadily declining by the minute. Although there is some stuff I just am not interested in, there is more and more truly awful stuff on air to feed on. "Comedy" shows that really aren't funny (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Crime stories that serve as nothing more than scientifically absurd ways to show the most gruesome murders you can think of (CSI anyone?). "Reality Shows" that offer hurtful and awkward intrusions into people's lives and entertainment shows where people perform in the hopes of being the next big thing. I could go on and on but you get the idea - I'm not a snot who says "oh *god* I don't watch TV its beneath me". I just don't like much of what is on I'm afraid...and for good reason I think.
Usually I can just let it go...but late yesterday after watching a DVD the TV was on and the show "Beauty and the Geeks" came on. It honestly made me angry. Yes lets pair up beautiful shallow horrible women with some poor guys made out to be horrible misfits and make them compete against each other for some competition at the end (don't know I couldn't make it through more than a minute or two of it). Why would anyone humiliate themselves for that? The girls seemed horribly shallow and cruel and treated those poor guys like dirt. Everyone deserves to be treated well, and I don't understand why the guys would submit themselves to be on it...it was just mean and right up there with plastic surgery TV (or whatever the makover show is called) for sheer time wasting drivel. I bet they'll all be "better people" in the end. *sigh*
Why can we not entertain ourselves? Is it so very hard?
Read, listen to music or even actually go outside. If you don't feel like interacting with people at least find something you enjoy and do it once in a while. Take your brain out of the cellowrap and packing bits and run it through it's paces to keep it working. I like to vegetate with the best of them (did so all weekend I"m embarrassed to say) but I after venting about this to J he said "it's sad but if people didn't watch this crap, they wouldn't make more of it". I like to hope that this isn't the future of entertainment. I'm not talking about censorship - heck I like a lot of stuff that other people haven't heard of, but there has to be someone at the studios go go "what? No ...geez - Aw no that's just stupid". People with stories to tell could tell them...and maybe people would demand better. Me on my own going "gaaaaaaaah!" every few months won't change much unfortunately other than make me come off as a bit of a prick.

Where am I going with this? I don't know...but ever since I watched Idiocracy it is like I can visibly see the slow decline of society into apathy and the lowest common denominator. Maybe the winter isolation is making me crazy but there has to be a better use for global communications than this...OK soap box away. Back to work...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I feel like a weirdo sometimes. "

That's okay. You are. So feeling that way is normal.

Geosomin said...

whew...that's a releif

Anonymous said...

Maybe people sit and watch what's on because they are too apathetic to turn it off - ever had that feeling when you don't want to see another minute of it, but you can't quite wake up enough to grab the remote control? But I'm with you in this - I already don't watch the stuff that you mention, but I'll make more effort not to watch TV just for the sake of watching. I must look for that video :-).

Unknown said...

I think it was Ralph Nader who said that in America, as with the Romans, midget wrestling is the symptom of the twilight of that civilization. And Bill Maher agreed quoted from and agreed with that assertion. So there you go. We don't have to worry about censorship. Another age of barbarians, of smaller villages and towns with no electric heat, cars, etc. is upon us. Either that, or outright extinction. Less likely, but just as much fun is the Apocalypse. Yeah! Buy beer! But which brand?

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...