Tuesday, November 27, 2007

All Yingy and Yangy with wobbly spurts in the middle

This weekend was both utterly amazing and totally annoying.
There was a dance party- a Star Wars themed one, and the music was amazing. My mellinium falcon was a tiny part of the decorations and the music was fabulous. The whole building was decorated up with rooms for Endor, The jedi palace, Mon Calamari and other themed rooms with comfy furniture. 4 different rooms of music all night...very good.
On the downside...still on strike, broke as hell now weekend and some prick put 2 dents in our car that must be fixed (and I can't really afford to but can't not do it)...and a friend's dog ate one of JJ's favorite shoes. I know money shouldn't be a problem, but it is getting to be...I don't even want to know the cost of car repairs.

So yeah...ying and yang all in a few days.
We did get to see Beowulf in 3D IMAX (really fantastic) and the weekend was an overall good one...we tried to be "normal" for a few days. It's just that being back here in "real life" and picketing in -20ish with snow and wind is daunting...but it can't go on forever. We had our vote today on our crappy offer form the University. I hope it was voted down "no" very strongly and we can end this soon in negottiations. We'll know by the evening.

I will try my best to be optimistic...we'll see how it goes. And I'll post some photos from the Star Wars shindig in a little while...I didn't make a big costume this year...no $$ or time, but I did dress up like Luke on Dagobah and have a lightsaber on my belt and my yoda on my back. It really was a great time all in all...one of the DJs kept playing all my favorite songs in his set...and there were performing bellydancers that were amazing - one girl danced with 2 swords balanced on her head. Wow.
But now, I must go do some data entry. I picked up a bit of work I can do at home for some $$ and should get at it so we can pay some bills...I am trying to avoid going to retail...we'll see.
Later tater...

5 comments:

MaCanuck said...

So, who's the brainpan who suggested striking just before winter. "Ooh. That'll show them. We'll march around in -30 weather, with a wind chill of -100, and they'll look out from their cozy Ivory towers and say "aww, poor them. We should cowtow to their demands lest they freeze to death out there..."

Geosomin said...

believe me...not our choice. It just ended up this way...

MaCanuck said...

*someone* ratified a contract that expired in fall. Someone took a strike vote in October thinking it wouldn't last the month out.

Now that someone is probably sitting in said ivory tower, negotiating, while you stomp about a burning barrel, looking like a street dweller in Johnny Neumonic, trying not to freeze yer nards off.

Okay, so you don't have nards, but you get my drift. It is a cold, white, hardpacked drift that is only about six inches high and doesn't provide any respite from the wind.

Why yes, I am having too much fun with this, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know - Our negotiators walk the picket line with us every day for the 4 hours and THEN do their other work on top of it. I have a lot of respect for them.
I know you're just trying to be funny...but it isn't.
Come out and freeze with me tomorrow for 4 hours...
If I were near you, YOUR nards would be in jeopardy at the mo my friend...

MaCanuck said...

Fair enough; my original point, though, still stands. A bunch of university types probably could have come up with a better form of protest then standing outside every day for four hours in Saskatchewan in November.

Try this on for size. Instead of going on strike as such, have the entire staff go on vacation to, say, Cabo San Lucas until the issues are settled. Instead of picketing, you could post pictures of you frolicking on the beach on a blog, and wrote long, eloquent dissertations on the topic while sipping mai tais as a form of protest. I'm not sure what the pictures would mean, but if you had a couple hundred University Staff types sitting around at the beach all day, I'm sure someone would come up with something good....

I'm not saying stay at a fancy resort, though. Set up a tent city on the outskirts. Make some political statement about the university treating you like third world residents or something...

But that's me. I'm not saying that it wasn't necessary or that the job action is uncalled for or anything like that. I'm just saying it was bad enough walking to school early for basketball practice in December, only to find that the coach had slept in and I had to walk ten minutes home again.

Sure, I'm a wuss. But I'm a *warm* wuss.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...