Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Winter blahs

Winter blahs are upons us again. Hibernation is here and it makes me want to sleep and eat. I'm enjoying it...but not getting a lot done. Snuggling and watching movies is much more my level at the moment. I'm almost done the last season of Babylon 5. After that, whatever will I do?
I've made it a piont to exercise every day this month to pick up my metabolism a bit and set up my mad scientist's closet and reset up our den's computer by the end of Feb.

I'm itching to start making a stained window for my Dad, but man...it seems like so much effort. He's given me the initial ideas, so I've sketched out a "dad approved" design of a bear by a rive rwith a fish in it's mouth. Now I have to template it out, and when they are here to visit next Mom can pick the coloured glass and I can make it for them. They've wanted a window for the cabin for a long time, so I'm glad to finally make them a window for the door there. My last couple of windows turned out quite well: I'm particularly proud of the one I designed and did for Uncle George. And the one J and I designed for our back window turned out rather keen too. I've been itching to have a place wher eI can leave out all my glass gear and not have to meticulously clean it all up whenever I pause to keep the cats out of it. Having my own domain for this will be great! I can just close the door and come back to it later...
Plus I finally picked up a dress form in the fall and instead odf sewing for everyone else I can now make things for me too. I promised J a cool coat, and after that...something for me. Not sure yet. We'll see. I just got a Serger, so *now* I can make stuff other than costumes that'll stand up to washings and wearings. I'm quite excited. (Now I just have to figure out how to thread it! The place I bought it from offers a "how to use your new machine class", so I'll definitely be taking them up on it...I'v eonly mooched other people's sergers. I have no idea how to load them up)

But...despite all my grand plans, there is nothing real to work on yet...until my room is done... so I have ze blahs.
What do you guys do do beat the winter blahs?
I could use some ideas...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, last weekend, since the weather wasn't too chilly or too windy, I went down to lower Wacker drive and killed transients and vagrants with a homemade shiv. You know, just to keep in practice.

Then there's the novel I've been working on for ages...and the album 1/2 written and unrecorded...and a stack of books unread in my queue.

grapecat said...

i drown my blues in bottles of shiraz. And plan, plan plan (mwahhh ha ha ha)

I think your windows are beautiful - do you do commissions?

grapecat said...

opps - blahs....
whatever

Anonymous said...

I haven't found a way to deal with them yet - I just give in and crawl under my blanket with a book or a video. Zzz.

Reb said...

Wow, those are really good! It sounds like you have enough projects on the go, I wish I had half that energy.

As for winter blahs - read, watch movies, surf the net. Bake goodies!

Anonymous said...

The problem with having that many projects is...well...I never get any of them done :)

I've done comissions, but usually just to get some more tools and equipment. I enjoy it so much, that as long as it's someone I know, if they pay for al lthe materials and are in no rush I'll make them one. I will work for beer though...A few pints of oatmeal stout go a long way in my world.

Anonymous said...

I request you post fotos of your window works of art for all to enjoy.

the Bag Lady said...

Wow! Your windows are gorgeous, girl!
Oh, and threading the serger? There's usually a color-coded picture somewhere that tells you how to go about it (at least, mine has one...and a good thing, too, because I'm so forgetful!)
I'm also really jealous that you have your very own craft room. I sew my bags in my bedroom...and it's a huge mess 99% of the time.
I have no-one to blame but myself, though, because I designed the damned house...don't know what I was thinking.

the Bag Lady said...

And my dress form? It's out in the storage shed with a fake fur coat draped over it...sigh. It was freaking me out, waking up and seeing someone standing in my bedroom... (hehehehe)

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...