Friday, February 01, 2008

Friday Favorite, Vol. #...um...I forget...6? Yeah 6 is good.

Usually I pick an album but I've had a lot of singles running laps about in my head, so I think I'll make a list of a few of my favourite songs at the moment. Some are long time favourites, some are wierd, but all of them are good. They're not all super catchy or dance your ass off tunes...just favourites of mine.

1. Pop Juice - Gomez. Well pretty much any song by Gomez could wander onto this list, but at the moment, this is my favourite song by them. It's an extra track off a 2 disc compilation album...a song about an alcoholic. But it's good. Really. A close second in line right now would be Whipping Picadilly....couldn't find Pop Juice so have a listen to that instead. It'll do in a pinch.

2. Intergalactic - Beastie Boys. This song always makes my smile. The whole album is good really, but this track is great...the video is a laugh too.

3. Hell Yes- Beck. This is my current favourite song off an older Beck album. He did a remix of it on a Gameboy Variations EP that was even better. His most recent album is fabulous, but at the moment this is my favourite Beck tune.

4. Stained Glass and Chrome - Ott. this song is one of my most favourite songs of all time. It is off an ambient dub album by Ott...and it makes me happy. There's no official video for it but you can listen to the track here on this fruity video made with quotes from the Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment. And the album has a smiling robot on it. How much better can it get than that?? :)

5. The Test - Chemical Brothers. This song will always be a favourite of mine. And the video is rather cool too.

6. I Know My Chicken - Cibo Matto. A lot of Cibbo Matto stuff is a bit hard to listen to, but this song...man it's stupid and catchy. I heard it once long ago in my car driving about in our car late on a snowy Saturday night listening to Brave New Waves on CBC radio to escape January cabin fever. I still love it...can't help it. It's not the real video, but at least you can hear part of the song...

7. Levitation Nation - Shpongle. Couldn't leave out a great dance track from the last Shpongle album. Great song...great album. Shpongle is great at mixing ethnic anf organic percussion with techno and trance music. I've had the joy of hearing him mix live...this album makes my feet move every time.

8. Mi Swing is Tropical - Nikodemus. This album is fantastic. I've linked to this song before...but it is so good. It had to be on the list.

9. Warning Shots - Thievery Corporation. I love Thievery Corporation. They have this crazy funk/dub/vibe/reggaeish/something else. I don't quite know how to describe them. They even did a great remix of old funk tunes from the Verve label archives. This song doesn't quite encompass all they sound like... but it's my favourite of theirs at the moment...

And so there you go. I was going to list 10, but this is taking too long and I should end my coffee break and get back to work. I'll save some more for another time.

Oh OK. One more...#10. Natural Blues by Moby. Longtime favourite from my favourite album of his. There. That's ten.
Buhbye.
Mee hee.
Have a great weekend all. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great selection. I just recently put two and two together and realized that one of my new favourite directors Michel Gondry who made Spotless Mind and Science of Sleep also made all those great Chemical Brothers videos as well as Beck and Bjork among others.

Anonymous said...

You can actually get a DVD of music videos directed by Michel Gondry...I"ve been tempted.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh. Good idea. Good music to listen to while enjoying some mind bending videos.

Anonymous said...

i'm so clueless, I have no idea who 99% of those artists are. (blush)

Geosomin said...

That's OK Rimshot...I have a pretty obscure taste in music.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...