Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pumpkin scones anyone?

I just made my new favourite thing-a recipe I've been eying up for a while from the Veganomicon cookbook...I just substituted in real butter and milk for their alternates. They are delicious...a little more cakey than traditional scones but delicious and reasonably healthy too. This AM I went to the farmer's market in search of scones, but on sundays there aren't a lot of vendors there and so I came home sconeless...and so I decided to make some of my own. They were really good..
(Preheat oven to 350)
In a big bowl mix:
1 c flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 + 1/6 c sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t cardamom
1/4 t allspice
1/8 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt
cut in 1/4 c cold butter until tiny bits and it looks crumbly.

In another mix together:
1 1/2 T molasses
3/4 c pumpkin puree
1 t lemon zest
1/4 + 1/8 c milk
Mix together and then into dry until just mixed. If you like, now is the time to add 1/2 c tart fruit or nuts(recipe called for cranberries - I used finely diced tart apple as J doesn't like them).

Lightly grease pan (I used a baking stone) and place dough on sheet, flattening into a round ~3/4 - 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges pieces and brush with milk and top with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. Bake 25-35 minutes until scones are starting to brown on the edges and a toothpick comes out clean.. Longer = drier scones. I did mine about 28 minutes and they were awesome. Cool 5 minutes and devour the cakey spicey goodness. Yum.

I am now full of scones and coffee.
Life is good.

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...