Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grapecat to the rescue

I was just thinking "I'm bored. And boring...I have nothing to write about today"...
But then Grapecat had this little food meme there and Kaplah! Meme fodder for me.
So here we go... the deal is you list these 100 items of food, and bold those you have eaten, and cross out any you wouldn't want to eat. I'm not sure how to do the cross out thing, so I'll just put ** before and after the ones I will not eat...and see what goes with that. Because I love unique identifiers and qualifiers (science geek) I am putting a # beside those that I have eaten but did not like...just cuz I feel the need to.
(and it turns out you can't see bolding on this template, so I'll make the bold stuff yellow...complicated enough for you? OK. Lets go...)

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison (I love it, and buffalo)
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. **Steak tartare** (parasites anyone??)
5. Crocodile (I've heard it tastes like chicken)
6. **Black pudding** (No added blood in my food. Who comes up with this stuff??)
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari #(didn't like it...it's all chewy)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich (I don't like peanut butter...so I wouldn't unless I had to)
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart

16. Epoisses (??)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21 Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. **Foie gras** (not only do I not like liver, but it's cruel to the ducks)
24. Rice and beans
25. **Brawn, or head cheese **(never ever ever...have you seen that shit?)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
# (not a fan of the texture)
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda ??
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (yum...I love bread bowls...)

33. Salted lassi (I want to try this...)
34. Sauerkraut # (Tastes fine, but the smell makes me retch)
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (how I celebrated my uni grad actually!)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly
39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail (just not that interested)
41. Curried goat
42. **Whole insects ** (No way. Am I starving? No? then no bugs...)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk #
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more (that's the good stuff...)
46. Fugu ??
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel #
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (don't have Krisy Kreme up here)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi #
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. **McDonald’s Big Mac Meal** (No thanks...their burgers are made of spun blood products you know...my parents hated McD's so we never went thankfully)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini # (prefer vodka martinis myself..and dont' like olives either)
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips #(can you say chalky?)
61. S’mores
62. **Sweetbreads ** (no. just...no)
63. Kaolin (??)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis # (I'm scottish so it was forced on me...but not again. YUCK)
69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette #(never again...had to try chitterlings once...it's a mennonite thing. DISGUSTING)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini # (not a fan...it's a texture thing)
73. Louche absinthe # (Foul tasting. Plus there is wormwood in it...)
74. Gjetost, or brunost (I LOVE gjetost)
75. **Roadkill** (WTF?? No...jeez)
76. Baijiu (??)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong (??)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers

89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam# (Mum used to fry it up for spamburgers. Yuk. Never again)

92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (so good...)
100. Snake

I scored 71 - I don't know what some of this stuff was...but now I want to try them. I suspect if I didn't have an odd urge to try things I've never heard of when they present themselves and work with a lot of foreign grad students I'd have a much lower score.
How about you?

4 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Well now. I am not very adventurous when it comes to food, obviously. A couple notes for you -
Lapsang Souchong is a tea - it's pretty good, if you like a tea made from old socks. (kidding, really....)

I am one up on you in that I HAVE eaten roadkill. Seriously. Okay, not exactly the squished kind you see on the side of the road. Hubby and his buddy were on their way somewhere, had just left our place and had just reached the highway when a prairie chicken committed suicide by flying up out of the ditch into a car passing on the highway. The two of them jumped out of the truck, grabbed the chicken as it flopped around, dispatched it, and brought it triumphantly home for me to cook!
That same year, I had a prairie chicken commit suicide on my kitchen window, so we ate it, too! (What can I say? We like us some prairie chicken around here!)

Anonymous said...

This made me think of what my uncle used to say about prairie chickens. I was asking him how easy they were to shoot. He said "Shoot them? No need! Just walk up behind them with a shovel..they're dumber than a bag of hammers".
Tasty tho...

Anonymous said...

My mother (who has looked after farmyard chickens) has always had a very poor opinion of them, so I'm sure she would find this conversation amusing. :-)

I love haggis - it's just peppery mince mixed with neeps and mash (and white sauce). Yum.

Fried plantain is something I'm determined to try as soon as possible.

grapecat said...

Oxtail is fantastic - really. We make oxtail stew - braised for hours with some veggies and a bottle of red wine - served over mashed potatoes - ahhh food of the gods. And cheap. I think it's a british thing.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...