Friday, March 05, 2010

FIfty Years is Really Not Enough

I am full of bittersweet memories this morning - Today would have been my parent's 50th wedding anniversary.
Strange.

My Dad is buying flowers and placing out their wedding picture on the table today to remember. Sweet man. He's doing better...so much better. He smiles when he talks of Mum now. The memories are growing sweeter.

He is down in Arizona with a bunch of friends, spending time together and golfing and they are making sure he is alright. Mum and Dad used to go down every March together. It must be strange to be down there alone this year, but I am glad he is there with people who care for him, and who knew and loved Mum and will take the time with Dad to honour Mum's memory today.

50 years is a long long time to love someone.

I hope I am as lucky.

Fifty Years Is Really Not Enough

Fifty years is really not enough
In which to plumb the depths of someone's soul.
Fifty more years, then, should be the goal:
To know the beauty of another's love,
Yearnings shape, and life-long shadows buff.
Yet life was never easy in those years.
Everest is sometimes hard to climb.
A will to love has brought you to this time,
Rich in joys that time cannot remove.
So may this day be filled with happy tears!

Nicholas Gordon

1 comment:

Corey said...

We all should be so lucky.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...