Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Can't take my eyes off of you...

You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like Heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.

Pardon the way that I stare.
There's nothing else to compare.
The sight of you leaves me weak.
There are no words left to speak,
But if you feel like I feel,
Please let me know that it's real.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.

I love you, baby,
And if it's quite alright, I need you, baby,
To warm a lonely night.
I love you, baby.
Trust in me when I say:
Oh, pretty baby, Don't bring me down, I pray.
Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay
And let me love you, baby.
Let me love you.

You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like Heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.

I love you, baby,
And if it's quite alright, I need you, baby,
To warm a lonely night.
I love you, baby.
Trust in me when I say: Oh, pretty baby,
Don't bring me down, I pray.
Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay...




Against my better judgement I'm going to reveal my age and a considerable amount of my tacky side -this morning on the way to work I dug out some old music I haven't heard in years - the advantage of having every CD I own on my iPod. My choice? Pet Shop Boys. Mock if you like, as yes, their music is very much on the gay side of house music, but they were my first real exposure to electronic dance music, other than Yello. (You know, Oh Yeah? Ferris Beuller's Day Off? I'm just making it worse for myself aren't I?)
I know a lot of people dislike their remake of Where the Streets Have No Name, as on the surface it is a bit of a bouncyed up version of the original, but the parts of the song, like just shy of 2 minutes where it breaks into Da NA Da NA Da na NA NA NA NA...and then they switch lyrics and sing "I love you baby and if it's quite alright I need you baby..." are absolutely fabulous. It makes me smile and walk with a swagger and think happy lovely thoughts. It's been floating about in my had for days and I had to dust it off to listen to it again. Can't Take my Eyes off of You is such a beautiful song...and in this remake? I shouldn't like it, but it just works for me. I'm sorry if your image of me is somewhat sullied by the image of me bopping about to bad house music, but on a morning like today, I was bobbing and grinning all the way to the bus...



Add to that, the fact that all I have had in my head since I woke up is the image of this Lichtenstein print, and it's starting out to be one strange day...

3 comments:

Pacian said...

Is he trying to imply that we're nobodies? Because I take exception.

grapecat said...

the pet shop boys are great - i love them. they are quite political as well - 'shopping' is still a relevant critique of consumer culture for example. don't know about their reformation though - haven't heard yet.

i know, we're old. or as george carlin would have said, "oldER" :)

pacian, perhaps we're behind him?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Yello... i love you! i looove bostich! its the BEST! my tacky car music. all dancing, driving, and cars! with deep voices...

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...