Monday, May 03, 2010

squishy escape

They're replacing the water mains in our neighborhood, so for the next little while we're all hooked up to alternate water sources by a tiny hose hooked into our back house tap. The main road is all dug up, but they're not getting too far as it's rained non-stop for the last week or so. Wet and squishy and cool...not any fun to be out in unless you're a duck. I'm hoping it lets up soon ...
To hook up the emergency water the poor guys had to crawl under our deck to get to the faucet on the house which is under our deck. There is a panel in the floor of the screened in deck to get to it, but they couldn't have hooked it up that way or the cats would get out. We had gone through the deck floor to turn the water on and then put the panel back in place with a weight on top of it. All was good (so we thought).

They got out anyways. Sneaky little guys.
Now that it's above 0°C the cats like to be out on the deck, even in the rain, sniffing and checking things out and napping on the chairs. They'll stay out for hours with no desire to come in. We don't have to worry about them being safe as they're screened in on the deck only -they are never allowed to wander about freely, as we're near a main road.
On saturday after watching Doctor Who we figured they had been out long enough and went to open the patio door and let them in...and they weren't there. At first I thought we'd let them back in and forgotten, but then I saw the motion light come on in the yard and I noticed a very very wet Gavin on the back step...he looked up when I called his name and meowed at me mournfully. I checked and sure enough they had somehow moved the weight and shoved aside the panel and climbed down under the deck to freedom.
...wet cold mucky freedom.

We went to the back door where both cats were huddling near the deck and back step... soaking wet and they ran into the house. They were fed treats and left to grumpily lick all the rain off their fur and snuggle into a warm duvet and dry off...
I'm hoping it's cured them of wanting to escape to the outside for a while!
Needless to say there is even more weighted junk on the access panel on the deck. They won't be getting out any time soon...
Now if I can just cure my cat Geek of his newly discovered love of howling for no reason...*sigh* He used to be such a quiet cat...

3 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Cats love to escape occasionally! When I lived in town, I had a cat who was strictly an indoor critter. One day I cam home to discover the front door wide open (long story) and the cat huddled on the front step. He had no clue what to do with the freedom! (Thank heavens....)

Pacian said...

My cat's howled since he was a kitten. Persians are very demanding, they say, and it's his way of saying, "I'm not where you are. Come and entertain me!"

Anonymous said...

Cats are always determined to be on the wrong side of the door. And sometimes they manage... frighteningly frequently, in fact!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...