Monday, November 30, 2009

What? Me? Worry?

I was talking to my folks last night and my Mum is going into the hospital for a few days starting today so she can undergo observation for her heart. She was having some coughing and weak spells the past few weeks and they want to observe her heart and make sure she's getting what she needs, medication and treatment wise, and that nothing new has developed. My Mum has initial congestive heart failure and has had a heart flutter for many years. She has a valve that doesn't entierly function, so she's been on blood thinners for that too. The last few years she has had to take much greater care of her medication and herself as her heart has really weakened a lot.
I admit I'm a bit freaked. I can't help it. I don't want to equate this to how her Mum (my grandma) started down this slope a few years before she passed away of heart failure from the same kind of thing. I can't stop wondering if Mum's heart is just starting to wear out like Grandma's did towards the end. Stupid, I know. But, my Mum is 75. I forget sometimes. It all probably means she needs her medication adjusted and was doing too much again. My mum doesn't really know the meaning of "slow down" so I can see her fidgeting her way to exhaustion. She just can't do as much as she used to and I know it frustrates her. It took her a while to learn to keep a slower pace. She has a very good doctor, so I know she is in good hands. If they weren't 3 hours away I'd stop in and visit her...
My Dad didn't sound overly worried, so I'm trying not to be. I know he would have said something if he felt it was serious. He's good that way. At any rate, they are still both coming up after to visit before Christmas. Dad will help me with the kitchen (Mum said she will "supervise"!) so that will be delayed by about a week. No biggie. My Mom was actually apologising for putting off the visit from this! Silly woman. I told her to let the doctors take care of her and I'd see her in a week.

I heart my Mum.

4 comments:

grapecat said...

hope it's all ok - good thoughts your way from the uk. must be hard to slow down. hope she can without going bananas :)

the Bag Lady said...

I hope she'll be fine - I know how difficult it can be for some people to accept that they can't do what they used to be able to do... *cough*... not that I have PERSONAL knowledge of that, or anything! *ahem*

Anonymous said...

Mothers are so worrying! All mine has to do is sigh "oh, I've got SUCH a headache!" and I'm down in the dumps for the rest of the day. I hope yours is home soon.

Pacian said...

Ach, missed this.

Best wishes Geo and mother Geo!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...