Thursday, March 20, 2008

This is what apathy will get you

The ever lovely Chaucer's Bitch pointed out this interview with Dick CHaney (VP of the USA) on national TV in which he openly states that he doesn't care what the opinion of the US people is on the war in Iraq:

CHENEY: On the security front, I think there’s a general consensus that we’ve made major progress, that the surge has worked. That’s been a major success.

RADDATZ: Two-third of Americans say it’s not worth fighting.

CHENEY: So?

RADDATZ So? You don’t care what the American people think?

CHENEY: No. I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls.


Check out this link to watch the clip. I realise context is important, but this is not a statement that can be or is taken out of context. It is the statement of a leader who is going about his plans for things without any regard to the opinions or views of the people he is serving and representing in office. I hope Americans have a bit of a freak out over this, because honestly...you elected the guys. It's YOUR country....you're coming up on elections.
Vote. Have your say about the policy of the country you live in. Protest.You're declining like the Roman Empire and if you don't try and change things, you can't come up here and take our stuff, OK? We have our own problems :)

If you don't get involved, this is what apathy will get you. 4 more years of this.

7 comments:

Magnus said...

I'll have to watch the link later when I'm not at work, but that bit with Cheney is priceless. What a ma'roon

the Bag Lady said...

Why doesn't this surprise me? The US gov't has their own agenda, and doesn't care what the people want. And then give the Canadians crap because we didn't want to go to war with them. Here's hoping the American public does exercise their right to vote, and gets a gov't that will listen to the people.

Pacian said...

You think politicians should care what people want?! Geosomin, you are clearly an enemy of democracy!

Anonymous said...

A very merry Easter to you (to who?) to you (and all).

Eat some candy so you'll have energy on your runs!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Well, sadly, there is nobody left in the Presidential race that I even want to vote for this year. I'm a conservative. Notice, I didn't say Republican? Being a conservative transcends useless politics.

And you're giving Cheney way too mcuh credit. From the lack of public exposure given Cheney the past few years, well, aside from his hunting accident, I don't think he does too much. VP is kind of a dummy job. Just the understudy waiting for something bad to happen to the guy who got the lead role.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Oh, and likely people will flock to Mexico in case of bad times. It's cheaper than Canada.

Captain Chlorophyll said...

With all due respect to "my fellow Americans", I can't believe people voted for Bush/Cheney (twice).

I also ditto elasticwaistbandlady. There's not anyone worth voting for this election (either), and I'm an independent.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...