Friday, March 10, 2006

Got Klimt?



I am probably not the only one who loves the art of Gustav Klimt. (that's him & his cat over there)
His work is wonderfully abstract, using metallic paint and I absolutely click with his style of painting. He paints beautiful portraits as well, and has a great many works on the female form (had a thing for redheads and bosoms it would seem), the ideas of love, life, beauty, aging and death and I honestly swoon at the thought of seeing a Klimt exhibit. I've been lucky enough to see exhibits of Dali and an Emily Carr (I especially love her forest paintings) over the years, but I haven't been lucky enough to get to see even one of his paintings yet. He has a few well known paintings (likeThe Kiss and Love) but they really only just brush the surface of his skill at using shapes and colors that shouldn't work to create a vibrant and beautiful look at things (like "Tree of Life" up there on the right). His art is some of the few images that inspire real emotions from me and bring me joy just to look at. I could go on all day about his work (slow day here dontcha know) but you really should seek some of his work...I think they are beautiful. As I type this I can think of so many paintings I'd love to include on this post, but I'd on too long. Besides, what you may like may not be my taste. So go have a looksee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They had a huge Klimt exhibit in Ottawa about four years ago. I was supposed to drive out from Montreal with a friend at the time, but we had a falling out so it didn't happen.
Central Canada gets all the best exhibits as far as the European mastrs go.

Anonymous said...

And if you check out Darin's stuff over at flickr, you'll note more than a passing influence in his creative stuff...

Anonymous said...

I have. Darin's always ahd a fascination with Klimt's work.

Geosomin said...

I've looked around there a lot - I really like some of his stuff for a lot of the same reasons. I couldn't pur a finger on it but now that you mention it it IS kinda Klimty

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...