Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Avatar

I have to say - I was quite blown away by Avatar.
I think James Cameron is a great director and most of what he's done in the past has been solid action with cinematic innovation and brilliant effects. Usually I enjoy his films. Past favourites are Aliens and The Abyss...and Terminator 2.

Avatar is no less than brilliant. Even if you choose to overlook the stunning 3D aspects of the film, it is so *full* of imagination. The world that this film takes place on is beautiful, and Cameron has created unique and fascinating cultures and characters. And really - a huge plus? Well, the scientists in the film...they too are *real*. So often scientists (and the science) in films aren't "right"-too nerdy or mundane. In avatar, they were akin to my colleagues...real enough that I could picture myself there in the lab working with them. (man what a job *that* would be :)

This whole film is stunning. If I had to quibble, I could say that the dialog wasn't always perfect...but it was *real* -usually what actual people would say and do. And in the end it worked for me. Seeing the jarhead marine who lost the use of his legs begin to live in his avatar, learning the culture of the planet to try and negotiate with the people there...amazing. The bioluminescent world, and the culture of the tribal people who live there? Beautiful...and fascinating. It was like a great fantasy novel blurred into futuristic reality. With some action thrown in too. It's been a while since I walked from the theater happily excited with a mind full of new ideas.

Bwaha.

I anticipate seeing this a few more times over the holiday season...

But first, tonight is ebelskivers and a play and tomorrow is my last day of work before 10 days off work. It snowed about 4 inches overnight...everything is coated in the fluffy white stuff just in time. It really feels like Christmas. I'm all set with eggnog. Bring it on!

I hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too...

1 comment:

Pacian said...

Hoping to see it over the next few days. I love Cameron, but I'm trying not to get too excited before I see it, in case I overhype myself...

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...