Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Favorites - My Life In the Bush Of Ghosts

Holy freaking cow.



this album
What can I even begin to say about this album. It was made in 1979. NINETEEN SEVENTY NINE PEOPLE!
And know what?
It sounds BETTER than most of the electronic music I listen to now...it's as though Brian Eno and David Byrne said "hey! this is what electronic ambient music with ethnic influences will sound like in 25 years...lets make it early." It is one of the albums that inspired the Orb to form and do their thing.

This album is one I've just heard.
And seriously...instant favorite. I have a love of Brian Eno...all he touches turns to gold, and some of his solo stuff is brilliant.
This album however exceeds all manner of good things and simply must be heard. It is some of the first occurrences of sampling. They took vocal clips from various places and synced them up with music. Amazing percussion...and altho quite experimental, very good. It is the music I love NOW...only from 25 years ago. Track 2 is my favourite. The releleased version has a few tracks that are rather experimental added on, but the insert that comes with it is full of a lot of information about the album being made and how they came to decide to do this kind of music...which in 1979 was just not done really. It took them a while before they could actually release the album in the early 80s because they had to get all the copyright releases from all the samples as people were a bit leery...as it just wasn't done back then. And they did it all with analog tech and tape loops. Perhaps that is what amazes me so much about this album...it's like it is out of time...and better in production quality and originality than a lot of electronic stuff produced now.

Get Mr. Eno and Mr. Talking Heads together...and wow.
They have warped my fragile little mind!

2 comments:

Magnus said...

I've only heard a bit of this before. I have (somewhere) a copy of the best of Fripp and Eno as well as Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets, Music for Films and Music for Airports.

Geosomin said...

Warm Jets is one I've only heard parts of...it just blew my mind that something so good coulg be from so long ago...

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...