Thursday, February 07, 2008

TNT for the brain

Well...I've been baking again.
At the Alzheimer's Walk, they gave out a few "brain" happy recipes, and I thought I'd try one out last night. Baking stuff when it's really cold out side (and I have PMS/eat the whole pantry cravings...*ahem*) cheers me up. I love muffins...they're one of my favourite things...and favourite things to *make*. I make damn fine muffins, if'n I do say so myself...working as a baker in university taught me the muffiny secrets of the gods.
Now, of course I did doctor the original recipe a bit, as I had no buttermilk and put raspberries in them instead of the dried cranberries called for (J doesn't like cranberries...don't even *think* about raisins...foul little things...).
So ANYways, I present to you, my recipe for:

Raspberry Flax Brain muffins
(see what I did there? Brain, instead of bran? Eh? Eh? Yes hold your applause...)

2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 + 1/4 c milk
~1/4 c melted butter (~2-3 T)
1/3 c oil

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c white flour
3/4 c bran
3/4 c ground flax
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1T baking powder
1/2 t salt

1 c raspberrires

Whisk together the wet. Mix together the dry in a separate bowl and then stir together with wet until just mixed. Stir in fruit. Place in greased muffin tins (fills cups rather full) and bake @ 375 for ~20 minutes. Try not to overbake - check with a toothpick @ about 19 minutes...cool on rack. Once cooled, store in air tight container. It makes 12 yummy muffins.


For flax flour, you can buy whole flax and grind it up in a food processor, but our local grocer sells ground flax, so I used that. The recipe said 1 1/2 c buttermilk, but I forgot to buy some and wasn't about to walk 15 minutes in the freezing cold to get some - they still tasted very nice with my lazy replacing. I suppose you could put in 1 c milk and 1/2 c fat free sour cream and it would also be good...I ususally can't be bothered with buttermilk. You can't buy a 500 mL container of it where I am, and I never seem to use it all before it goes bad, so I just work around it. It always tastes better when you actually use it, I know, I know...but I'm trying to find healthier recipes. I'll probably do the fat free sour cream thing next time instead of butter.

I have to say I'm impressed with these...they're not too bad fat wise, and are very good for you ,what with the flax and bran. I'm having one right now the next day at coffee break and they're still moist and tasty. They aren't too dense or heavy...so I give them 4 1/2 out of 5 golden brains. I will definitely make them again, probably with blueberries next time.

And my brain never felt better...

7 comments:

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Ooooh, that sounds like a good recipe. A good recipe for regularity! :)

I'm going to try out something I saw on a sauerkraut dish board for Valentine's. If it turns out well, I'm going to blog about it. Are you ready? Sauerkraut Cake. Yes, really. You'll appreciate the scientific angle I'm going to include with it, though.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...brains.

Anonymous said...

Imagine my disappointment at seeing that brains was not an ingredient.

I'm starting to think you're not a mad scientist at all!

And how do I get a hold of you to get a window made? I have American currency to exchange for your goods and services.

Geosomin said...

really?
wow...well, I tellya what.
Is there an email link on your weblog? I could email and go from there. I have to finish my parent's first...but if you're in no hurry...and have an idea how the frack to mail a window...we can talk..look at the design and see if it would even work...and give you costs and such.

Anonymous said...

Yum yum! I might just make those this weekend.

Magnus said...

I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean
I'm a wanted man
Public enemy number one
Understand
So lock up your daughter n' lock up your wife
Lock up your back door and run for your life
The man is back in town
So don't you mess me 'round

'Cause I'm T.N.T
I'm dynamite
T.N.T
And I'll win that fight
T.N.T
I'm a power load
T.N.T
Watch me explode

Oi!


Sorry for the AC/DC reference, but you know...

Geosomin said...

ACDC in my blog.
*sigh*
Magnus! You know the stench of ACDC is unbearable to me.

Now I have to go and wash the whole blog off...
*sigh*

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...