Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Springtime for Hitler

J got tickets to The Producers last night at the last minute…I’ve always been curious about it…heard rumours and talks of how funny the film was. Magnus showed me bits of the old movie when we were out to visit and I loved it's absurdity, and J’s always told me about the Springtime For Hitler play within the play which had me really interested to see it. It was too pricey for a “kinda want to see it” musical and so it was a bonus to get to go see it. I’ve seen a lot of “serious” musicals like Les Miserables and grew up watching cheesy musical films like the Court Jester and White Christmas, so I was looking forward to what Mel Brooks could warp a musical into…in the end I was not disappointed. It was a very over the top musical. And the Springtime for Hitler portion…well, words fail me to describe the absurdity of it all: dancing nazis, prancing poncy Hitler and women wearing giant sausages and pretzels on their heads…oh and ballet dancing tanks too. Yeah it was something else. And I got to get all dressed up too…bonus. (I even wore heels…oh stop laughing, I did. A skirt too – with tights....Do you need a minute? OK? All right then).

I did a bit of hunting about The Producers and I was reading the Wikipedia entry on it. I wish I’d had the chance to see the Toronto production with Sean Cullen as Bialystock…THAT would’ve been something. Sean Cullens is a lesser known Canadian actor/comedian/musician. He was lead singer for a comedy music band called Corky and the Juice Pigs a decade ago and had a 6 episode show on the CBC a few years ago which I loved called (originally enough) The Sean Cullens Show. It had a yeti, a diabolical german neighbor bent on killing him, the odd musical numbers (The song about building a tower of hot dogs comes to mind), exploding figure skaters, a giant squid, a cellar dweller and even a William Shatner’s Fight College episode. Very over the top… Although the humour wasn’t for everyone I loved it. It’s not often a show has bizarre humour that I completely get. And to see Sean Cullins in a role he’d be perfect for in an over the top absurd musical…well I’d pay to see that!

Anyways I’m rambling. Just had to blather on about the play a bit cuz it was fun.
Gotta go.

3 comments:

Magnus said...

Sean Cullen... bleh! Sorry, but I find the man about as funny as small pox.

Geosomin said...

Tee hee...pox :)

Magnus said...

A pox on you! But you are already sick so... heh, heh!

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...