Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Curse you ebay

I've never had what you'd call a normal taste in music. Oh sure I like U2, Coldplay, Gomez and some mainstreamy type stuff...but largely my musical taste has drifted more and more to indie rock and electronic/ambient genres. A lot of what I like is hard to track down, especially out here in the prairies where country (ick) is king...which can make it frustrating (and at times downright expensive) to track down the music J or I want. Y'see I'm one of those die hard support the artist types who can't just steal music if I like it a lot - I figure if I don't support these guys and I'm having trouble finding them they'll never make it if I don't give them a few $$ now and then for the privilege of hearing their music. And so I often have to hunt and pay dearly for the tunage I like.

Some artists, like William Orbit, Lemon Jelly and Orb can be found on holidays to larger cities, or through Amazon, but largely, music is a hunt. And I have recently discovered that ebay has all manner of great music I want...and I'm also finding a lot I never knew was out there and now of course absolutely must have to hear. This means finding stuff, bidding on it...and the anguish of not winning a lot of it. I mean, I know you're only technically outbid by 50 cents to loose an auction but seeing it is always frustrating. You wonder - will it come up for sale again or should I bid like mad on it? How much am I willing to spend? It's also daunting seeing what some music I want sells for sometimes. Often I'll get lucky and snag a CD for 3 or 4 bucks...sometimes regular store price, but every once in a while the world goes nuts for something - a few examples:
I lost out on a KLF CD compilation of rare tracks that are no longer available for sale - went for over $40 plus shipping. An Aubrey remix CD of the Orb - went for over $80! Eep.

And now I'm on the wait to win a Moby ninja remix...and hopefully a remix compilation with some KLF and Orb on it...some Shpongle, and some others...all which I may or may not get...*if* I remember to bid on it in time and *if* I don't get outbid beyond what I'm willing to pay for them...*sigh*

Why oh why do I have to like music so much?
Curse you ebay you foul temptress...I am addicted to you.

No comments:

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...