Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Warning: Science ahead

A friend sent me this...it cheered me up.

Someone wrote a silly mock song about PCR...

PCR when you need to detect mutation
PCR when you need to recombine
PCR when you need to find out who the daddy is
PCR when you need to solve a crime


Technically it's an ad, but I'll take it...for some reason it cheers me up. Just to know others know my suffering and plod on in the lab...if you're not a geek and don't get it that's OK.
That may be a good thing :)

Well, I must go amuse myself in the lab...much to do.
But before I go, read up a bit on PCR and why it's such a huge tool in genetic science. It's what I spent the last dissapointing months doing. It's neat...well...to *me* anyways. You can sequence someone's DNA. Honestly...you can't tell me that's not at least a little bit cool?

Ahhhh, if only I could have magical scientist TV PCR powers...I could have done this kind project in a few minutes...instead of over a month. Anyone know how to reach these guys??? They seem to have an advantage over us chumps in the real world...
Bloody CSI...

3 comments:

Magnus said...

I should send you some genetic samplings from some of my co-workers and some of the students, I think think you could legitimately claim to have detected still-living Cro-Magnon specimens on planet Earth. (if not earlier than Cro-Magnon)

the Bag Lady said...

Gasp! Are you telling us that CSI isn't representative of the real world?! Scientists really can't solve horrendous crimes in under an hour?! Ack, the Bag Lady is so disillusioned.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've never seen a huge tool in genetic science. I have, however seen huge tools in genetics.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...