Friday, November 03, 2006

Cool Beans and other things

Rented District 13 last night.
Aside from the french rap at the end (just wierd) This movie was great.
Lots of action and entertainment. I was pleased. I'm all for the urban hopping all over buildings and creative fighting in films...and cute men showing of their muscley dexterity...often with no shirt...erm, anyways.

On an aside, I'm amused once again that the odd time of year has arrived that separates the stylish and trendy people from the rest of us who just want to be warm.
Seeing people dressed in summer wear run from car to building and shivver and fret as they wait for busses or walk between buildings on campus never fails to amuse me. It's just starting to get frosty cold...soon the freeze your flesh, actually dangerous kind of cold will come in with windchill and stop our cars from starting and force us to wear rediculous amounts of fuzzy clothing...well those of us who like to be warm, anyways.
Me? I take the bus and it's a 15 minute walk to the busstop, where I sit on the edge of an open windy area - a long frigid walk that means I have to be bundled up or I'll freeze. I have a locker to cram all my stuff in once I get to work, so why be cold? There's always some person in skimpy clothes with a tShirt and a scarf and gloves shuddering away trying to NOT be cold. I'm all for the power of the mind over matter, but frostbite is another thing entirely. I pity our grad students from really hot climates...it takes a good cold snap until they realise that no, we're not just hosing them and trying to make fun of them - it does get bloody cold here...and yes they need to get a warm coat.

And it's only just begun. I am not very stylish at the bus stop...but I AM warm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who'd ever have thought fashion choices would be a way to cull the weaker specimens from the species.

"I may die of hypothermia, but I must look good doing it!"

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...