Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Water IS Power


Well, I'm off on a crazy kick again. As it turns out, comstumes are encouraged at Shambhala and I wasn't going to bother, but then I got the "bug". You know, when an idea pops into your head and you have to try and do something. It happened with the Oola costume and now I have a new focus. I've always loved Tank Girl (comic AND movie) and although I'm more like Jet than Tank, I'm trying to make a costume that reflects the whole thing that is Tank Girl. I have dog tags and a strange shiny rain coat I found at Value Village. I may make a Tshirt that says 55 or 40 Watt Club" but I likely won't do much else, as I have a grand idea. In the film, during the musical number at the Liquid Silver whorehouse, Jet is wearing an army helmet that is covered up with little mirrored panels and looks like a mirror ball (she's also wearing see through plastic pants but there's no WAY I'm going there...). THAT is what I am going to try and do over the next week. If it doesn't work, oh well, but I'm heading to army surplus after work and I have the glass tools. All I need is patience and some super sticky adhesive...I'd love to make the whole missile bra thing as a Tank option, but that's WAY beyond me (and honestly a bit too attention grabbing for me) - there isn't enough time to even try, so I'll try and see what I can do over the next few days about a mirror helmet. The thing is, half the fun of this stuff is the making it. It's a bonus if it actually turns out well!!! If it doesn't work, there are times when Tank wears an aviator hat (got it...don't ask) or a helmet covered in fun fur, so that may be my alternative with the helmet if I can't get it to work....but I think I will. I also have a waterbottle I can put the water and power logo on it, just cuz I can. I think I'll just be Jet and be very happy to be her. I can't find a decent photo of the helmet, so you'll just have to go and watch the movie.
Go on. Watch it. You'll like it!

(...and yes, this just reaffirms my geekiness to the world!)

And if I can't make that work, I could always make a Happy Fingers hat in a pinch...after all I did get told to "Try applying your creativity to more artistic arenas, and letting your imagination take less practical forms." Yup, that'd be this alright.

3 comments:

Geosomin said...

Anybody have a good suggestion for a good adhesive. I'd prefer it was waterproof when it dries...

Magnus said...

Do the Rocket Bra.

Geosomin said...

Perhaps in the snowy winters I will confine myself to the craft pit (ie. my room for making stuff in the basement) and make myself a rocket bra. There's jsut not enough time right now, but the more I think about it it would be a lot of fun to make, even if it was jsut a halloween thing. That'd give me another month or so...
I DID find a good helmet which is now primed grey and ready for epoxy and glassy bits. I watched bits of the movies last night so I now know what it roughly looks like. I also found some black contact paper at the local coop so I can make Water and Power logos for some waterbottles...I'm very hyped. Stuff like this is so much fun...

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...