attack of the clutter monsters

In an attempt to battle the "dear gods what have I gotten myself intos", this weekend was a lot of work, but very satisfying. Seeing as I know free time will be at a premium over the next semester, I wanted to get my home in order for my sanity's sake. It's been such a busy summer that it was chaos...and I know if I didn't do anything now it wouldn't happen for a long time.


So saturday I attacked the basement, which was still in utter disarray from after the "great shitstorm of 2010". It is now organised and tidy, with all the laundry sorted and caught up on. Then there was the main ain't perfect, but now it looks as though people live there and I don't want to go for a walk to escape the clutter. The table top can be seen and the kitchen and living room look rather nice if I do say so.

Sunday was spent going through our bedroom and decluttering, putting away all the backlog of laundry, defurring the house and making up the bed with lovely smelling clean sheets. It's nice coming home to a home that relaxes you instead of making you think of all the things you need to do :)

J took me out for Burmese food to my favourite local place on saturday night and we went for nice long walks outside both evenings. It's been rather special having him all to myself over the holidays and it was nice to spend some relaxing time together. I couild tell I was relaxing as I made some chicken parmesan and cheese onion bread and stuffed peppers for supper last night as always relaxes me. In the end I feel quite caught up. I still have a sniffle and the odd cough, but I'm happy to report that I believe I will survive the plague after all :)

The only downside to the last few days is when we went to turn on the air conditioning a few days ago there were some zapping arcing noises and the lights flickered. So, naturally we shut it off straight away and ran to the basement where we noticed a bit of smoke in the basement by the furnace fan, but nothing permanent that we could see. We pulled the cover off the furnace and poked around and other than some dust bunnies (ahem) we couldn't see anything amiss. We're too scared to turn it back on until we've had it looked at so I'm going to hopefully book someone to come look at it soon. Of course this week it is chilly and rainy and we could really do with putting the heat on, but we'll just have to suck it up and put on fuzzy socks and a sweater until we have it looked at, as if it is the furnace fan that's the issue we can't run the heat until it's fixed. I'm hoping it's something minor like a wire or something and not the entire furnace fan...because that could mean essentially a whole new furnace. And yes we've thought of replacing it as it's old and completely energy wasting, but we are hoping on doing it on our terms and budget. But, we shall see. No use getting worked up about it until it's been looked at is there?

For now I'm content to be living in a sane house. I have 1 week of sanity before classes start and I hope to make the most of it...


Popular Posts