Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I'm in UR ebay hacking UR account

I was hacked last night...strangely I'm excited about it. Well, mostly because no harm was ultimately done. I'm smart enough to keep my paypal and other stuff separate from my home email and ebay account, but noticed last night as I tried to log into my email and ebay account that my access was denied. A little call to the helpful email people to find my email password didn't work. I had them change to a new password and lo and behold after getting back into my email (huzzah!) there were messages letting me know I'd changed my ebay password (nope) and that the 10 laptops I'd listed for 24 hour sales (I wish) were successfully up for auction (oh crap). But, luckily for me ebay caught it and cancelled the sales ASAP and after a bit of emailing and phone noodling both my accounts are back in order with new highly secure (and quite difficult to remember or spell) passwords.
I suppose I'd have been miffed if stuff was mucked up, but honestly, considering I've only ever bought shoes, CDs and geeky collectibles on Ebay suddenly posting 10 laptops for a "steal of a deal" of $120 each, you'd think the hackers would've figured out that a flag might have gone up or something. Even *I* wouldn't try something quite so lame. And I am indeed quite lame myself so I know whereof I speak.

BUT, after all that I'm glad it's all back to normal and I can go back to buying more useless crap on ebay and getting my email once again. I must say that it did wig me out enough to go into things change all my passwords...so now I have a bunch of new things to remember.

Oh goody...

The way I remember things, I bet you all $20 that in a week I'll be whining about how I can't remember any passwords to get into anything...

Game on.

5 comments:

Magnus said...

Frightening.

Anonymous said...

That is just messed up. Any idea of how or why this happened? grrrrr. People. grrrrrr

Geosomin said...

It's annoying and a bit scary now that I've had time to think about it. I've changed all my passwords for all thigns and cancelled the credit card attached to the ebay account just as a precaution, but after 2 hours on the ebay online help chat think and being cut off multiple times (because yo ucan't get phone support from these wankers) all they'd tell me was somehow someone phished my account info. I'm really careful about that sort of thing, so it must've been a lufking virus that watched for when I logged into ebay and stole my password. Luckily my shaw email wasn't comprimised, altho the password did "crash" suspiciously at the same time, but as it turns out after a search there was no hacking into THAT thank god-it's supposed to be uber secure. And people thought *I* was paranoid about keeping all my stuff separate and being anal about access to things...yeesh. Tee only personal info in my ebay is my address, which is freely available, but it's still disconcerting...the ebay staff were very unhelpful and as vague as they could be...I am really annoyed at ebay as they only wanted to tell me that a 3rd party illegally accessed my account...Well no shit, I knew that! No details without detailed prompts and I kept getting mysteriously disconnected from the help chat... Lets just say I'll be a lot more anal about where I log onto ebay - not ever on a PC again that's for sure.
*sigh*
Why can't they get their OWN ebay accounts to sell their 10 invisible laptops from and leave mine alone??

Geosomin said...

Man I can't type today...

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhhh - scary. A zombie stole your eBay account. :-(.

My PC hasn't been online for months - that doesn't mean it won't get a virus (I might unwittingly transmit it there by other means). I feel a little happier about things.

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...