Sunday, September 04, 2005

NEWS FLASH! Wasp commando nearly breaks her toe

...So we noticed we have a few wasps moving into our yard...in between the railway ties that edge the stairs going up to our front door to be exact. As usual, my best defence was "ingore them and they'll go away".
Well after a few weeks of ignorance they didn't take the hint so my husband pestered me into doing something about it, as I was not that inclined to get off my but without a nudge. I found some wasp killer spray (*not* easy to do on a sunday evening in Saskatchewan as everything is closed...but that is a rant for another day), waited for evening when the little buggers are less active and then donned my garb to become...



Wasp Commando!
A balaclava, snowboard goggles, workboots, old jeans tucked into socks over tights and a bunnyhug. To top it off (and make me feel a bit braver) I donned my old German army coat that I got in Ireland (long story).

Oh yes I was ready.

I went out and used a flashlight to see the hole they were flying out of and sprayed nearly a whole can of the insecticide stuff in there. A few flew out and writhed around but I hav to admit it was less dramatic than I'd thought it would be...

The irritating thing about it all is that after a week or so I can see some wasps flying in and out of the hole again, so I didn't get them all. Next step is trying to drown the little guys in traps I guess. I don't want people like the mailman getting accosted when they come to our door. I suppose wasp commando may have to go on another mission before all is said and done. (hee hee...I hear the million dollar man music in my head ... "we can rebuild him")

Further complicating my mission plans, I stubbed my toe last night so hard that after all my dancing and screaming I think I may have not broken it. It's bruising and although I can still move it it feels stiff and hurts to move. I probably just sprained it really badly, but I'm in a bad mood as I have to go and weed the front yard right now and the prementioned wasps hopefully won't take revenge and chase after me as I can't run away right now. I could hobble off, but they'd catch me pretty quick. Plus it's too hot a day for my balaclava right now...

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

The Baxter said...

funny pic....

Peter T Chattaway said...

At that angle, your head looks tiny.

Anonymous said...

I bet Jay gets you to dress up like that all the time now....

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...