Sunday, September 25, 2005

For the love of God people....read the label!!!!

So I'm repainting my bathroom....my hideous hideousbathroom.
Why you ask?
Well, it is quite a horrid room at the moment. Never liked it at all. All the fixtures and tub surround are (wait for it) pink marble. For those of you who know me you know how I HATE pink. Add in the brass accents, pink light fixture, four thousand nail holes from the previous owners and a cheesy floral trim and and you've got one spectacularly crummy bathroom. Now we'd never have gotten our house if it didn't need all the work it does, but man...pink fixtures? A bathroom is a sanctuary. Me, I like my baths. I'd love to renovate the whole place and put in new fixtures and a new tub that you can actually bathe in (currently the water comes up to maybe your bellybutton (I had a clawfoot soak tub in my old apartment...I'm going through withdrawal)) BUT since that would cost a small fortune we're painting the room and replacing the towel things and shower curtain. This sounds simple...it isn't. We have to still use the bathroom while I renovate it. AND the previous reno on the room was NOT done well at all....

Which brings me to the topic of my post (ahem): PEOPLE! When the renovating people tell you how to patch and repaint a bathroom LISTEN TO THEM! Read the labels on the damn products...better yet - FOLLOW THEM! Step out on a limb and actually get the right paint for the bathroom (it's only 3$ more) and wash the walls - take the time to do things properly. Otherwise the people like me who buy your house from you will curse you within an inch of your lives when they try and renovate a room you have wreaked your horrible magic on. This isn't Trading Spaces! You are not smarter than the people who do this for a living! You have more than one day to do it-Take the time! Actually take all the wallpaper off the walls before you paint over them. Prime the walls and USE THE RIGHT PAINT so that when you wash the walls, it doesn't just come off again (my house is notorious for this...). Then you won't ever have to do it ever again.
OK.
There.
I feel better.

I'll post a pic when I'm done the bathroom in a week or so. Having said the above things, I can see why people don't like to "do it right"...it is SO much fiddly work to get to do it properly and get to the fun part at the end where you actually put the color on the walls. I've spent two days washing, scraping and filling. Tonight I will sand and prime. Then the trim and *then* (finally) the cool color on the walls. Soon my bathroom will be much better...metropolis grey with metallic fixtures and a new shower curtain to hide the pink shower land. SO much better...AND it'll be done *properly* so that when I die and they sell my home, the new owners won't curse me!

1 comment:

Linda J. Meikle (Former Linda Cash) said...

Looks like you love to write and are very good at it! Keep up the interesting work!

Jump over to my blog sometime and enjoy my ramblings about being a nurse and the life search for my family. dustyangels.blogspot.com
Linda

Cunning Plans

 Life is wierd ya know. It seems a lot of things have been hitting me hard lately. Been distant from people, including my partner who is dea...